“It's my birthday. I'm officially old." - Sex in the City
It is birthday eve, and I shall finally be 30 years old tomorrow. I seem to be full of mixed emotions about it. It's depressing to say the least, which isn't positively contributing to my mood for this Monday.
My parents called at the last second yesterday and asked if we wanted to go out for lunch for my birthday. We went and it was good until the conversation turned to my sister. It always has to be about her. Whether it's good or bad, Wendi is always the topic of conversation. Normally, it wouldn't faze me, but it's my birthday. They asked ME to lunch for MY birthday, and all we could muster up for conversation was about how SHE makes bad choices and how tough HER life is going to be. Okay, I get it. And now I'm over it. Could we not just get through one lunch without bringing it up? Ugh.
So, I hate Mondays as it is. Today was just as difficult to get out of bed for as any other Monday is. Not to mention that it's been raining like crazy every day since Thursday. So now it's hot AND muggy AND a Monday AND the day before my 30th birthday. Oddly, several people at work started wishing me a happy birthday today. I say odd, because I haven't mentioned to anyone that I have a birthday this week. I discovered that our receptionist sent a mass email to the office that my birthday, no not just my birthday, my 30th birthday is tomorrow. Awesome. I was planning to call in sick tomorrow. How's that for ruining my plans to make the day somewhat tolerable? Okay, I get it. Her intentions were pure. Could I not just have the joy of sleeping in on my most dreaded birthday ever? Ugh.
Now, as the afternoon slips by me, I must start prepping myself to eat a meal with my in-laws. My FIL has diabetes, my MIL has allergies, and now my SIL has discovered that she has major food allergies too. This makes it difficult to eat, well, basically anywhere that serves food. FIL can't have anything with sugar, MIL can't have anything with cheese or wheat, and SIL is allergic to just about everything under the sun. What an enjoyable process it is to sit and help them figure out what menu item is the least lethal to their health. I'm sure my MIL will forget her glasses too, so then one of us will have to read the entire menu to her anyway. Okay, I get it. They can't help that they can't eat certain stuff. Could we not just get away with a nice birthday card in the mail, or a quick birthday wish over the phone? Ugh.
See what I mean about depressing? It's sucked the life right out of me. It's making me lash out in bitterness.
I mentioned mixed emotions. Today is all about the depression. I'm hopeful too, but that's a post for another day. Come back later to catch me on the upswing.
About Me
- Jenn
- Commerce City, CO, United States
- I'm a left-brainer by day, a right-brainer by every spare moment! Want my attention? Better have photographs, a camera, or scrapbook supplies in tow. Working Girl on top of Mommyhood. Mommy to Dylan and auntie to the most beautiful Kendall. Married to the most amazing, giving, and gracious man God could have ever blessed me with!
Monday, August 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ahhhhhfamilies!!!
ReplyDeletehope it was a good day anyway!
Enjoy being 30!!!! We get better with age I believe;)
ReplyDeleteHand them a menu and let them figure it out! Works in my bird seed eating FIL! LOL
Happy Birthday and enjoy Jermeny and you!
Jodi
Oh, I feel your pain! My MIL is the same way but it's b/c she just won't try to like anything post 1950! She takes a million vitamin pills with each meal...good greif! Does it have to be in front of all of us? Can't she wait until everyone has gotten up from the table and take them in the other room! No she holds them in thier tiny little zip loc baggies on her lap and sneaks them one by one to her mouth and then swallows them with a gulp of water!
ReplyDeleteFunny how when you're not feeling well every little thing just grinds on your last raw nerve!
Sisters, ahhh, don't get me started.......
)))Hugs((((