About Me

My photo
Commerce City, CO, United States
I'm a left-brainer by day, a right-brainer by every spare moment! Want my attention? Better have photographs, a camera, or scrapbook supplies in tow. Working Girl on top of Mommyhood. Mommy to Dylan and auntie to the most beautiful Kendall. Married to the most amazing, giving, and gracious man God could have ever blessed me with!

Monday, October 9, 2006

Baby, It's Cold Outside

The high is only like 41 degrees today! It was 82 on Saturday, 53 yesterday, and the rest of this week will be rubbing elbows with 39-40-41! Brrrr! It's been raining non-stop all day, and it's predicted that we'll have 4-8" of snow tonight in the metro. What happened to autumn? We went straight from summer to winter. And to think of it, there was no spring either. Straight from winter to summer. So strange for Colorado.

Well, I only got 4 pages done at Archiver's on Friday night. I get so caught up in chit-chatting, people-watching, and shopping, that I suck at getting pages done there! I did get to try out the Cropadile on the page kit they gave us, but I only used the hole punch part. What I do like about it is that you can set the guide so that no matter how many holes you punch, they're all in a straight line along your edge! Very snappy!

Saturday was an efficient day. We cleaned out the garage for the first time in FOOOOUUUURRRR long years. It so needed it and now I feel all fuzzy inside when I pull the car into the garage. Everything looks so nice and neat and organized. All the fertilizers are *finally* together. All the camping stuff is *finally* together. All the car wash stuff is *finally* together. It makes a world of difference. Okay, well it does to me!

Then DH took his buddy out to shop for hunting clothes since they leave in two weeks and DH's friend owns nothing. While they were gone I unpacked my bags from Archiver's and picked up the house a little bit.

Saturday night we had cooking club with our friends. I made a shrimp salad for appetizer, we had a pork sauerkraut dish with potato balls and an apple sauerkraut as sides, then had a walnut strudel, an apple cake, and my poppy seed cake for dessert. We don't usually have three desserts, but since the dessert gal was out of town, three of us found it necessary to pick up the slack. Everything was so wonderful, and I'm amazed at how far all five of us have come in the last three years. When we started, I was lucky I could make spaghetti and enchiladas from scratch. Now, here I am beating egg whites to fluff up my bundt cake!

Yesterday, we rolled out of bed and went shopping at our BRAND SPANKIN' NEW SuperTarget. It's funny how excited a person can be about a new store opening, and you should have seen how giddy I was! We've been suffering the last four years since we bought our house; the closest grocery store is 15-20 minutes away, and SuperWalMart is crawling with so many people that I swore I'd never set foot in there again because I was sure I end up literally killing someone. We've been driving out of our way, 25-30 minutes away just to be able to go to SuperTarget in Thornton. It was a blissful morning!

We drove up to Loveland and had lunch at PF Chang's with my in-laws for DFIL's birthday. I had the almond-cashew chicken and DH had Szechuan beef. After lunch we wandered around in Dick's Sporting Goods and I got a new pair of golf shoes that won't pinch my toes, and DH got a camouflage belt and a new Nalgene bottle.

Last, but not least, we got to go to the Av's game last night. It was awesome! I love hockey. The only irritating thing is that we had some "well to do" folks next to us and of course the women only wanted to gossip, not watch the game. That irks me...why on earth would you pay that kind of money for tickets, then sit there and drink wine out of tiny plastic cups and talk about the latest shocker at the country club. Hockey games are for girls like me who wear jeans, tennis shoes, a hockey sweater, have their hair pulled back in a pony tail, and is downing beer as fast as the guy can bring 'em. Whatever. At least the Av's won and we had a good time. We sneaked our peanuts, M&M's, and one Dr. Pepper in (Jeremy got busted with the 2nd Dr. Pepper and had to throw it out). It's hard to justify spending any money on consessions once you've paid for the tickets and parking.

Sorry, I keep rambling...but I have to share this with someone! Saturday night, I found out one of my two close friends from work is expecting! She and her DH are in our cooking club, and as we sat enjoying our appetizer, somehow the conversation got on the topic of having children and she said, "Well actually..." I am soooooo excited for her but have lots of other mixed emotions about it. On one hand, I'm relieved because people at work have been teasing us both about which one of us would be pregnant first, but I'm a couple of years older, so everyone assumed it would be me. Either way, it'll probably be an uphill battle since we're the two female project managers in the office, and no one has charted the course on having a baby and being a project manager. In the past, it's been the guy's wives or the gals in admin. that have had babies, so neither of us is sure what to expect or how to broach the subject. She hasn't told anyone at work and has sworn me to secrecy, so I can't talk to anyone at work about it. I've been bursting with the news, so thought I'd share with you guys.

On the other hand, I'm shocked that they were even trying! We have both always had the same response when asked if/when we're having kids. Big eyes, lots of excuses, and feeling for the door knob behind us to find the quickest escape. Obviously the older I'm getting, the thought is becoming less and less scary, but I've got two years on her. I'm guessing it's because her older sister just had a son last month, and it probably made her start thinking about it more seriously. It sounds like they've been talking about it for a while because they stopped preventing in Feb., started really trying in June, and found out in July! I can't believe she was able to not tell me about it this long!

On the third hand (don't you have three hands too?), I'm a little envious, because she is younger, and I guess I probably assumed that I'd be first too, especially since DH and I have started *seriously* talking about it in *literally* the last two weeks. It had me thinking the rest of the weekend about it. Every little detail has been racing through my mind, like we need to start sticking to a budget and putting all the extra aside, we need to get our house fixed up and get it on the market so we can build a bigger house, we both need to get serious about getting healthy so that we are healthy and weight-controlled before a pregnancy and are setting a good example for a child, we need to find me something that I can do from home because I'm positive I don't want to return to my job after having a child, I need to finish our wedding album so that I'm ready to start a baby album, and it goes on and on and on! I'm shocked that I was even able to fall asleep Saturday night because I has so many thoughts racing around in there!

*Sigh* Hard to concentrate on doing my job when all this stuff is floating around in my head. Thanks to all for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment